Sunday, April 27, 2008

More Istanbul Inspired Art...


This comic is about a moment when I was at the Topkapi Palace a few days ago. I was takıng pictures of the beautıful tileş and when I turned around I found myself surrounded by a group of Turkish high school girls taking my picture! I guess it was because my hair was all fancy-shmancy. I turned bright red and scampered away.


This was a conversation with Alp that I found amusing. I mean, Istanbul has 1800 mosques! So 5 times a day you can hear it no matter where you are.


I was playing around with some calligraphy here usıng a wooden stylus...these are different names for Allah. (These are like the round signs in Aya Sofya)


This is a larger calligraphy drawing--it's one of the Sultan's signatures. I believe the three vertical flags represent the three continents (Asia, Africa, Europe), the writing under the flags reprent the parents of the Sultan, the broad horizontal swishes represent greatness and power, and the little symbol is that Allah is great.

1 comment:

obie said...

the last calligraphy has no meaning, the right one should be written BISMILLAHIRRAHMANIRRAHIM in arabic, means In the name of Allah the most gracious, the most merciful