Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Pics from Cappadocia

Cappadocia!

I had a dream about this place two years ago (I even did a drawing about it) and now I finally got to see it for myself! And the fact that is was used as the set for planet Tatooine in Star Wars made it extra cool. It definitely lived up to its expectations.


I liked finding faces in the rocks (of course, most people see other body parts)...this one looks surprised.


I've never been up in a hot air balloon before, so a sunrise view over Cappadocia sounded like a great introduction.




I also hiked the Ihlara gorge...


...and explored the underground city of Derinkuyu...


...and the Goreme open air museum...


...and climed around the Selime Monastery...



...and was surprised by the vivid paintings in the cave churches. (The lack of sunlight has thankfully prevented them from fading)


The village of Avanos is known for its pottery, so I tried out a foot operated pottery wheel for myself. The results were...unique.


Oh, I'll miss sleeping in a cave! Sigh...

No comments: